Maverick Hallway

mavs 1
mavs 2
mavs 3
mavs 4
mavs 5
On July 24, 1895, Marshall University trustees presented a 30-year lease to the Marshall Public Free Schools with a right to renew. Three years later, on September 12, 1898, Marshall High School began operating in a building leased from Marshall University. The first MHS had only two teachers, 30 students and five subjects -- Latin, English, History, Math and Science. Only grades 8,9 and 10 were taught at first. By 1900-01, the high school went through the 11th grade. From 1901-02 through 1910, 12 grades were required for graduation. The 12-grade system was reintroduced in 1936. The first graduating class had one student, Miss Verbena Barnes, and in 1900 there were three graduates.

In February 1910, the city school board began deliberations with Marshall University trustees for a building site, located at 600 West Houston Street. On March 29, 1910, the trustees conveyed their property to the Marshall School Board as a site for a high school building. It was agreed that the new school would be called Peter Whetstone School -- but it never was.

In September 1911, 200 high school students moved in. By 1914, it became necessary to add four classrooms and enlarge the study hall. By 1923 another building change became necessary, so the old Marshall University building was torn down and replaced with a new building facing West Houston. From 1924 until 1940, the high school remained in this building. In 1939, the building erected in 1911 was removed to make way for an addition to the campus. This new building, which faced College Street, served as the high school. The junior high remained in the old portion until the seventh and eighth grades moved out in 1964, providing more room for a growing high school.

A successful bond issue under Superintendent Truitt Ingram in 1976 led to construction of a new high school for Marshall. In September 1980, students in grades 10-12 stepped into a "comprehensive" $6.7 million, 212,000-square foot facility on Maverick Drive. The school had an initial capacity of 1,600 students and basic facilities for 2,000. Its features included a 2,000-seat gym with three courts, 600-seat auditorium, multi-tiered dining area for 500 and separation of academic classes from shop, band and choir areas. Outside the building were a 7,000-seat stadium with all-weather track, a 12,000-square foot field house, six tennis courts and a baseball field. A facilities study in 1986 led to the opening of a ninth-grade wing. A supplemental field house for baseball, cross country, soccer and tennis opened at the north end of Maverick Drive in December 1988. In 1993 came a 2,000-seat addition to the stadium, a new track and an addition to the band hall. In fall 2002, a new program, the Air Force Junior ROTC, moved into a portable structure building north of the main building. All-weather turf was installed in Maverick Stadium in the summer of 2003, and was replaced in 2015. In the spring of 2004, construction began on an addition to the field house, about a third of which was financed through private donations.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.